Friday 7 November 2008

I can be ill now

Ciudad Rodrigo is quite a long way from most places. So far as I know the nearest hospital is in Salamanca, which is 85kms away.

Suppose those nice paramedics arrive within 20 minutes of the emergency call and the ambulance averages a steady 120kph (and it couldn't) then we're well over the hour before the trolley crashes through those double doors and all those doctors and nurses start shouting. It was only 25kms to the nearest hospital from Culebrón and that seemed far enough.

I'd found lots of excuses to put off registering with the Health Service here as I'm becoming terrified of speaking Spanish but I finally got around to going to the local health centre today. Its a big building that looks, from the outside, as though it doubles up as a sort of "cottage hospital". I hope so as I reckon my old and abused body just wouldn't take that ambulance ride.

No comments: