Sunday 23 November 2008

Peña de Francia

It's a hill, 1723m high (Ben Nevis, for comparison, is 1344m) about 50kms from Ciudad Rodrigo.

Apparently a French chap found an image of a Black Virgin Mary in a cave there in the 15th Century. Within a couple of years of the "discovery" the Dominicans had the place sewn up tight and they set about building a monastery, church and what not on the summit. I presume that the TV repeater station came later. I understand the good folk of Ciudad Rodrigo carry one of those big Holy statues all the way there, and up the hill, on their backs each September

It was a cracking place. Crisp air, blue sky, views over to the snow on top of the Sierra del Bejar and the religious buildings looked really stocky and solid as though they really should be there. When we were in the church I noticed we were blowing smoke, all those monks doing all that kneeling and praying for all those years crossed my mind. But, in my overcoat and with the heater in the Mini proving to be first rate I didn't think about them for long.

No comments: