Saturday 20 December 2008

The good old days

Wherever we went in town today we were greeted by Maggie's pals and acquaintances. Outside the Town Hall there was a recreation of country life in the area. One of the acquaintances engaged me in conversation. I understood about one word in twenty but I think she said that this was a typical Shepherds dwelling where a whole family lived in this hut made of branches. "There would be an awning outside the shelter where they would light a fire and cook the food." 

I must have misunderstood because I thought she said that they still  existed until about thirty years ago. That would have been towards the end of the Bay City Rollers career, about the time of Grease. Maybe she said in the 30s. Either way living in a hut made from twigs must have been a bit hard.

No comments: