Saturday 21 February 2009

Carnaval Saturday

We went in to see the Carretones, I thought it was going to be calves running into town but instead it was pretend bulls on wheels. It made me laugh a lot. For the first real bull running of the day all we saw was a lot of people fleeing and glimpses of the bulls through the fences. One bull was being really awkward and kept coming and going, causing all sorts of commotion. He had us penned in for at least half an hour.

By devious routes we got to the place I work which has views over the main square. The same bull was now in the square being as awkward as ever. Several time the mansos, the meek bulls, were sent in to try and guide the big fellow out - that's what you have in the photo. Stubborn rather than brave I heard a Spaniard say.

Later, after eating our way through some traditional empanadas and hornazo, we went on a round of the bars. The town is just heaving with people and life. With my head beginning to pound just a bit we stood around waiting for the fancy dress parade. That was whilst the bulls that had come into town earlier became engaged in a nasty, fight to the death bull fight. Maggie had her Princess costume on but it didn't help. As we waited the slaughterhouse van came out of the main square. Stubborn or brave the fighting bulls end up the same way.

I should say in one of the earlier posts I said there were no real fight to the death bullfights but I was wrong. It turns out that there is ritual slaughter three times over the festival.

No comments: