Tuesday 14 October 2008

Cleaning the stairs

In Spain many people live in flats or in joint property of some kind. This means that lots of decisions have to be taken collectively rather than individually. If you fancy a new door on your flat, new radiators on the central heating system or even a new shower cubicle then you have to get the OK from your "community".

One of the tiny details that arises from this is that communal spaces are cleaned jointly. Today it was our turn to clean the entranceway and stairs to the block of five flats we live in. Maggie was at work and I'm not working till this afternoon so, obviously enough, I did the sweeping and mopping.

I was mopping the last little bit with the front door open to the street when a man passed by. He gave me a very strange look. You have time to think when you're mopping and I mused. It struck me that I have never, ever, seen a man doing general housework type cleaning in Spain.

No comments: