Wednesday 25 March 2009

The worm turns

In the post about insuring the car with the worm firm I said that the insurance was nearly sorted. It isn't anymore.

The cover with the new firm was due to start on Friday. They had sent me a policy and the usual gubbins through the post but the insurance was only third party. That was OK, it was what I was expecting because they had said that I could expect a call from a "perito", an insurance assessor, to check that the car was as I described. That being so the insurance could be upgraded to fully comprehensive. 

I was a bit concerned, there are only two days to go before my old insurance lapses and, unless their expert came to see the car I was going to end up with it on the street with only the most basic insurance. So I phoned the worm firm to ask what was happening. After a lot of confused Spanish (on my side) I began to get a little angry. They were no longer going to send a perito to me, I had to take the car to them and the only place they have is in Salamanca, a round trip from here of about 170kms. It's times like this when I really wish I could shout in fluent Spanish. I did my best but all I could really do in the end was to tell them to cancel the policy, which I did. Now comes the fun of wondering whether the money will come back to my credit card without a struggle.

Fortunately, my old insurers, hadn't rung to chase me up for the premium so I was able to phone them and renew the insurance as though nothing had ever happened.

No comments: