Thursday 4 December 2008

On written customs and habits

Spaniards don't have much of a history of written communication. I heard it on the radio and I have heard at least three Spaniards agree with the analysis. This would explain why Spaniards do not share the Brit enthusiasm for sending cards - for births, deaths, marriages, birthdays, anniversaries and exam success. Buying cards in Spain is nowhere near as easy as it is in the UK - choice is limited, sometimes nil and the designs are generally pretty suspect.

I'm Brit so I want to send Christmas cards. In Alicante I know where buy them. It isn't so easy here. The supermarkets were not selling Charity cards (they do in Alicante), the Moroccan bazaars were full of tinsel and tacky Santas but no cards. I went to source; to the offices of the Red Cross. "What are Christmas cards?" said the man "Anyway the Red Cross doesn't sell them." Eventually I bought UNICEF cards from the Post Office but I was a bit shocked at the price. None of those 100 card bumper packs for £1.99 from Tesco.

I won't say how much just in case you get a card from me.

No comments: