Wednesday 6 May 2009

What a nice woman!

I listen to a free podcast, a Spanish language podcast, produced by a woman called Mercedes León. The themes are pretty diverse - you might guess from some of the (translated) titles - Mum, I'm Gay; We're going to live together; Ecological underwear; On tapas and terraces, Chemical castration and Bloody holidays!

The podcasts are aimed at those of us trying to learn or improve our Spanish. They usually take the form of a conversation, with Mercedes taking all the roles, which she then dissects to explain grammatical points, stylistic use, everyday jargon and the like. Each podcast is nearly half an hour long and they are backed up with a free written transcript. The whole package must take hours to produce.

Anyway, the other day I sent her an email asking if she could weave a particular verb into one of the podcasts; it's a word I hear a lot but one that I can't get a handle on. Not only did I get a 200 word response within 24 hours but she took the time to point out an error in my Spanish - I'd asked if she could weave a word into a podcast and she said that Spanish speakers would not use the verb weave in that context. 

What a nice woman.

No comments: