Thursday 7 May 2009

On football

I was coming back from a class and I heard a roar from the bar close to our flat. Ah, Barcelona - Chelsea I thought. And it has been a nice warm day, mid to high twenties, Maggie is away on a course so a beer seemed in order.

Rafa, the barman, asked me if I was for Chelsea. I suddenly realised that being English tonight might be a bit of a handicap. I must have got the answer right. He gave me a beer on the house. My barber was sitting in the corner of the bar - "Chelsea or Barça?" I mumbled something about Liverpool and Manchester. "I'm for Chelsea" he said, "I'm a Madrid man." Bingo beer number two, well three actually as I'd actually bought one myself. A man came in, he was smoking a big cigar, he leaned on the bar next to me, "Barça are buggered aren't they?" he asked to anyone who would answer. I told him the scoreline. He muttered under his breath as the Barcelona fans shouted at the telly. "Let me get you a beer" he said.

Barça and Manchester United coming soon to a bar near me.

No comments: