Saturday 18 October 2008

Even less Spanish

When I was living in Alicante I had the perfect excuse as to why my Spanish wasn't improving.

"Well, you see, Alicante is full of Brits - so we talk to each other, buy our services from each other, we've got a little colony of English speakers, we never need to speak Spanish"

That said of course I worked in a shop that served Spanish customers, I ordered shop goods from Spanish suppliers and I did bump into the occasional Spaniard just in the way of things.

Here in Ciudad Rodrigo there aren't many Britons but I do live with one. We speak to each other in English. My employers are a Libyan/Croatian/Spanish couple and we speak to each other in English. I have orders not to speak to my students in other than English and, unlike the locals, I never speak to anyone in supermarkets and the like. I'm reduced to holiday Spanish (Could I have a beer please?) except that I'm saving cash by staying out of bars. I'm speaking less Spanish now than I was in the midst of an English speaking enclave.

So much for those people who told me that after three months in Salamanca my Spanish would come on leaps and bounds.

No comments: